Councillor Allan Hubley
Friday July 8, 2011
Please be advised that for the month of August the City of Ottawa is scheduled to complete sanitary/storm sewer work (or blasting) in your area. Sanitary sewer work will be completed on Abbottsford Road and Abbeyhill Drive and the storm sewer work will be done on Glamorgan Drive, Castle Glen Crescent, Castlefrank Road and Carriage Court.
The City of Ottawa is required to undertake this work in order to complete the sewer condition assessment investigations. City staff has assured me they will do all that they can do to minimize affects on home owners.
With this work there is always a potential that it could affect homeowners. Please take a look at the following tips to protect your home and property from any potential damage:
- Ensure footing drains direct water to the storm sewer or sump pump, away from the foundation. Footing drains should not be connected to the sanitary sewer system.
- Ensure water run-off on the property is flowing to the ground surface or storm drainage system, not the sanitary system.
- Install protective plumbing devices (such as backwater valves) that protect against sewer backups, and inspect them regularly.
- Ensure service pipes between the municipal sewer main and the house are in good operating condition.
- In rare instances, the pressure from sewer cleaning operations can create a vacuum and blowback water through home fixtures, such as toilets. During this period, it is important to keep the toilet lids down at all times. If your house experiences a blowback, please contact the City immediately at 3-1-1 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kanata South City Councillor